Martin T. Ingham Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So - I got an author's facebook page...

2 posters

Go down

So - I got an author's facebook page... Empty So - I got an author's facebook page...

Post  Bruno Lombardi Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 pm

So I bit the bullet and actually got an author page on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bruno-Lombardi-Author-Page/434916096583689

My embracing of the Ottawa Literary Scene is almost complete. I just need a tweed jacket and a twitter account to complete the transformation. Oh--and a pipe, of course.

This whole 'self-promotion' thing feels a bit weird to me, to be honest. I understand why it's necessary, of course. It's the nature of the beast, after all. But as a somewhat shy and quiet guy, it still feels weird, you know.

It's like -- I'm bouncing between two points.

On the one hand, it's all - "Uh, hi, if it's not too much trouble, can you, like, you know, say something nice about my stuff? Or not! That's kinda cool too, you know. Uh, I'm just going to go stare at this wall in the corner for a bit, ok?..."

On the other hand, I feel vaguely dirty, like I'm prostituting myself - "Hello there, big boy. Want to see me make a simile? Cost you two facebook likes and a share. For three likes, you get a metaphor thrown in as a freebie..."

Do the rest of you writers feel the same way?
Bruno Lombardi
Bruno Lombardi

Back to top Go down

So - I got an author's facebook page... Empty Re: So - I got an author's facebook page...

Post  Martinus Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Indeed, it is a very familiar feeling. One of my biggest problems with finding success as a writer has been my inability to be shameless. It does often seem like whoring, or at least being an egotistical bastard. Sometimes, self-promotion seems more like spam than marketing, and getting anyone's attention is like pulling teeth at times.

Trust me, Bruno, you're doing very well at this point in the game.
Martinus
Martinus
Admin

http://martiningham.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

So - I got an author's facebook page... Empty Re: So - I got an author's facebook page...

Post  Bruno Lombardi Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks Martin.

I remember watching an interview with Neil Gaiman talking about living in fear of the Fraud Police showing up at his doorstep. I kind of understand what he's talking about now.
Bruno Lombardi
Bruno Lombardi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum